Monday, August 13, 2012

Ty, August 13, 2012, morning update

Yesterday was a bit of an extreme day.  Woke up feeling hopeful, as Ty looked so much more perky, and all sores were starting to look more promising.  He ate well, eliminated as he should, and he didn't appear to be at all uncomfortable.

Mid-day, things took a decided turn for the worse.  He started vomiting, and not long after, threads of blood were coming up with everything else.  He was very lethargic, and very uncomfortable.

The vomiting continued off and on for several hours.  Got a call into the vet, and she suggested the high doses of Prednisone could absolutely be causing stomach upset, but she also suggested we bring him in, and have him looked at.  Truthfully, I'm sort of tired of the "bring him in so we can take a look at him and charge you $55, plus a Sunday fee, just to 'take a look'" suggestions.  If we are coming in, and spending the money, let's actually *do* something!  We decided to stay home vs. drag him to the vet for 'another look'.  While he had taken a bit of a turn, he was holding, and the vomiting had subsided.

After a few hours, I went back to some things I know.  I gave him a bit of Greek yogurt (boy, am I ever glad we have this on hand almost all the time!), because I knew his gut needed the 'good' bacteria boost, and we gave him some Prevacid.

I also did a little research on Prednisone dosing.  The first thing that popped up was "do not give on an empty stomach."  Well, isn't that interesting?  Not something the vet told us when it was originally prescribed.  The reasons stated for not dosing on an empty stomach included Ty's very symptoms.  This reminds me of the time I spent over $500 at this very vet on Jet, over several months, because he would have intermittent stomach upset.  They neglected to tell me that his Soloxine needed to be administered on an empty stomach.

I think this vet needs some hand-outs re: timing on dosing on their meds.

Ty started to look a bit more perky by evening, but it was time for the Pred. dose.  I was concerned...

We proceeded with dosing, *with* food.  For the balance of the evening, he appeared to be doing well.  This morning, he is doing well.  No more vomiting, at least not for now.  He remains perky, and settled.  He will get more Greek yogurt this morning, as well as another dose of Prevacid.

Is it time to see our favorite homeopathic vet?  Dr. Griffith, we need you...Ty needs you.  That visit won't come soon enough.

Now, does anyone need ribbon work?  I could use a few orders to cover the vet bills.  It's getting a little scary around here...Kindle's back, Ty's back, Jet's dental, and Ty's Pemphigus Vulgaris.  It's been a hell of a year for vet bills.  Ready to be done.

Mostly, though, I'm ready for my special boy to feel better, and get past this horrible disease.

11 comments:

  1. I did not know anything about giving soloxine on an empty stomach. I drop it in their food bowls morning and night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I later found out that the dose should be administered either one hour before food, or three hours after...apparently it's an 'efficacy' thing. For my dog, however, the dose given with his meal gave him stomach upset. When we started dosing an hour before meals, all the stomach upset went away, and no more work outs for the steam carpet cleaner.

      Delete
  2. So difficult when our beautiful beings are not well. Ty is so lucky to have you. I use homeopathy and natural medicine a lot, and sometimes I blend it with standard medicine. Keep doing all the good things that you're doing and hopefully the homeopathic vet will be able to make Ty even more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very difficult...but it's also been a learning experience. Hoping to help others with his story, so that his difficulties are not in vain.

      Delete
  3. So glad he is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! One day at a time. Today is looking more hopeful. He is spread across my bed as I write, doing a lovely 'lounge lizard' impersonation. Warms my heart. <3

      Delete
  4. I Have two dogs who got sick on pred. One developed pancreatitis. The other had stomach upset passing copious amounts of blood. Pools! They lowered the dose, out her on carafate to coat her stomach and put her on pred

    Kathy Crislip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. I'm so glad you left this information. Perhaps it will help others, as well, as helping Ty. Best wishes.

      Delete
  5. Leslie, I am so sorry that Ty is going through this. I can only imagine how hard it is for you. I know he is in the best care with you and you will do everything possible to help him. I hope he feels better soon. It's heartbreaking to see them in pain. Ty is an amazing dog, please give him a hug from me. Take care! Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vicki. I appreciate your kind comments. How is Rebel?

      Delete
  6. Rebel is doing wonderful, I love that dog so much. One of the happiest shelties you could meet (right along with Ty). He just turned 9 years old and I wish I could slow down the clock or clone him. I know how much you love your dogs and I have all the confidents you will help Ty. Ty runs with a smile like Rebel does. He will be smiling again soon! Just take care of yourself too.

    ReplyDelete