Yesterday was a bit of an extreme day. Woke up feeling hopeful, as Ty looked so much more perky, and all sores were starting to look more promising. He ate well, eliminated as he should, and he didn't appear to be at all uncomfortable.
Mid-day, things took a decided turn for the worse. He started vomiting, and not long after, threads of blood were coming up with everything else. He was very lethargic, and very uncomfortable.
The vomiting continued off and on for several hours. Got a call into the vet, and she suggested the high doses of Prednisone could absolutely be causing stomach upset, but she also suggested we bring him in, and have him looked at. Truthfully, I'm sort of tired of the "bring him in so we can take a look at him and charge you $55, plus a Sunday fee, just to 'take a look'" suggestions. If we are coming in, and spending the money, let's actually *do* something! We decided to stay home vs. drag him to the vet for 'another look'. While he had taken a bit of a turn, he was holding, and the vomiting had subsided.
After a few hours, I went back to some things I know. I gave him a bit of Greek yogurt (boy, am I ever glad we have this on hand almost all the time!), because I knew his gut needed the 'good' bacteria boost, and we gave him some Prevacid.
I also did a little research on Prednisone dosing. The first thing that popped up was "do not give on an empty stomach." Well, isn't that interesting? Not something the vet told us when it was originally prescribed. The reasons stated for not dosing on an empty stomach included Ty's very symptoms. This reminds me of the time I spent over $500 at this very vet on Jet, over several months, because he would have intermittent stomach upset. They neglected to tell me that his Soloxine needed to be administered on an empty stomach.
I think this vet needs some hand-outs re: timing on dosing on their meds.
Ty started to look a bit more perky by evening, but it was time for the Pred. dose. I was concerned...
We proceeded with dosing, *with* food. For the balance of the evening, he appeared to be doing well. This morning, he is doing well. No more vomiting, at least not for now. He remains perky, and settled. He will get more Greek yogurt this morning, as well as another dose of Prevacid.
Is it time to see our favorite homeopathic vet? Dr. Griffith, we need you...Ty needs you. That visit won't come soon enough.
Now, does anyone need ribbon work? I could use a few orders to cover the vet bills. It's getting a little scary around here...Kindle's back, Ty's back, Jet's dental, and Ty's Pemphigus Vulgaris. It's been a hell of a year for vet bills. Ready to be done.
Mostly, though, I'm ready for my special boy to feel better, and get past this horrible disease.