He had such a great day Friday, and into Saturday morning, then he started to paw at his face. This, I have learned, is not a good sign. While his spirits have not diminished, there are new sores in his mouth, and the discharge from his eyes just will not stop.
Last week we went from 20 mg./day of Prednisolone (a variation of Prednisone), to 40 mg. For me, this was not a happy change. And, of course, it has not stopped the progression of the disease. Now the conventional vet wants to go from 40 mg. to 80 mg.! When I used to take Prednisone for my asthma, I took 30 mg./day, at the highest dose. And my conventional vet is murmuring 80 mg./day for my dog, who weighs a fraction of what I weigh? When is it time to just say "enough is enough", and let things falls where they fall?
I do not want to give up on my dog, but when is the treatment worse than the disease?
Through it all, he has remained the happiest, sweetest boy...never resenting anything we had had to do to, and for him. Always greets the vet with joy, and a snuggle. Always agreeable, no matter what they do to him.
I'm not looking forward to my chat with the conventional vet today. I don't know what to do.
I could just take the Prednisone plunge, or hold off, and hope the Chinese herbal therapy kicks in...the 'blood heat'. The homeopathic vet suggested it would take at least 14 days for that to kick start healing. Do I drag this out another 14 days (well, 11 now)? Another 11 days of up/down? Another 11 days of pain and discomfort for my dog?
This is so horribly difficult. What a bitch of a disease. I hate the words "auto-immune". If I never have to hear them again, it will be too soon.