Friday, August 3, 2012

Photography lessons...another step forward!

Today was photography education day...

After my lighting experiments from yesterday, I decided it was time to learn about white balance, and add the skill to my photography toolbox.  I'm really glad I did.  What a simple, but very effective adjustment.

Essentially it's just a matter of telling the camera where the white is, so when you shoot, it casts the color in the correct tone.  Two basic shots.  First one shot without white balance.  Second one with.  The first one has a yellow cast, which I don't care for.  Before I shot the second one, I told the camera where the white was, and it adjusted, removing the yellow cast.  Subtle, but to my eye, it makes a pretty big difference.  This is how they came out of the camera.



My other step forward today was in taking time to understand 'manual' mode on my camera.  When I first got my camera, I spent about 2 days on full 'auto'.  The shots were okay, but didn't wow me, so I then shifted to the presets.  I was pretty happy with those for a spell, but still wasn't getting what I wanted, so I spent a good bit of time learning about aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc., and felt I was getting closer to what I had in my mind, but that 'M' setting was still calling my name.  So, equipped with some pedestrian knowledge of the basics, it was time to step off 'priority' settings, and into full 'manual'.  How freeing!  So much more fine control of the shots.  I'm not sure what I was afraid of before, but I'm not afraid any longer.  Groovy.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment