Thursday, August 30, 2012

Ty, August 30, 2012, morning update

He had a very restless night, until about 3am, when he finally seemed to settle down a bit.  Sleep has been punctuated with periods of panting, sneezing, and a lot of nasal gurgling.

48 hours ago, a small crack popped up on his nose leather.  This morning is it much more pronounced, with a lesion seen within the nasal cavity...

These are the kinds of lesions seen throughout his mouth, as well, though I did not open his mouth to shoot photos.  It clearly bothers him.

I'm concerned about the very small cracks beginning to form on the more clear nostril, as I believe that is the only clear passage for air, aside from panting, that he has.

We are on day three on 80 mg. of Prednisone/day, as well as 25 mg. of Azathioprine/day.

In the last 30-40 minutes I can hear a rasp from him when he's panting, and his bark has taken on a raspy-ness, as well.  I know the larynx can be affected, as well, and I suspect that has happened.

I will fight as long as you tell me you want to keep fighting, baby boy.  I won't give up on you.  If you no longer wish to fight on, I trust you will tell me.  Until then, we march on...I love you, with all my heart.  I think it goes without saying that I will never be ready to lose you, but I love you too much to push you to fight if you decide you are no longer able.  I am listening...


  1. Sending lots of love to you and Ty! I wish there were a quick remedy. Hugs and prayers coming your way!

  2. Stay strong. He knows you are trying to help him.

  3. Following Ty's story... I'm so sorry you are both going through this.
    I am fighting for my sheltie boy also, so know what you are going through.
    Thoughts and prayers that the meds and herbs begin to work for him. Stay strong for him.

    1. Thank you. I wish you well with your boy. Is he also suffering from PV, or another disease?

    2. No, not PV. He is in congestive heart failure, atrial fibrilation and pulmonary hypertension most likely caused from untreated lyme disease as a youngster. He is a rescue who I fostered then adopted when he was about 18 months old. He is now appox 10...Like Ty, waaayy too young for us to be thinking of our lives without them. I continue to read your updates and I cry with you/for you. I pray for your strength and his restored health.

  4. Just breaks my heart, Dear Leslie. Thank you for sharing your journey, though painful, so that we all are more aware.

  5. Thank you, everyone. Your encouragement is very uplifting...we are grateful.