Monday, August 13, 2012

Olympics...

I'm always kind of sad when the Olympics are over.  Watching all the athletes shoot for the moon, and the range of emotions that follow, is just fascinating.  It's one hell of a human experience.  I always enjoy the highlight reels after the actual games are over, too.

I think London did a great job hosting the games.  The venues all looked interesting, the setting was great, and it was great fun to see William, Kate and Harry appear at so many events, cheering, and enjoying the experience.

Of the two games: summer and winter, I'm a fan of the summer games.  Probably because Americans do well at the summer games...more so than winter, and it's fun when your home country excels, and makes several appearances on the podium.

For me, three Americans that really stood out were Gabby Douglas, Missy Franklin and David Boudia.  They just captured my heart.  All three of them.  Not because of their achievements in their respective sports, but because they seemed to embody the best of America's youth.

I wasn't as impressed with NBC's coverage of the events as I have been in year's past.  Too much of some sports, and not enough of others.  It was pretty clear the coverage was centric to American prowess vs. a broad coverage, regardless of who was expected to win.  I'd like to see a little less of some sports, and a little more of others.

My greatest let down during the games was the opening and closing ceremonies.  Some bits were good, but overall, they both left me feeling flat, and I didn't finish watching either.  I sat watching, thinking, "I don't get it", and that was how it went, for both ceremonies.  I know some folks really enjoyed them.

In the opening ceremonies, I did enjoy the bit where the Queen did a spot, jumping from the 'copter (yes, I know it wasn't really her!), and I did love McCartney, but so many other bits seemed disjointed and without flow or relevance.

The closing ceremonies seemed more a showcase of who didn't show up, than who did.  Where were the heavy hitters?  Sting, The Who, The Clash, The Stones, more of the guys from Pink Floyd, Phil Collins?  I mean, if you're going to showcase British music, showcase it.  It felt more like country fair entertainment than a showcase of the best Great Britain has to offer.  I did really like the spot on John Lennon (his face made from the puzzle pieces was really interesting), and I thought the Stomp bit was fun, but the singers in/on cars got old, and it all seemed a bit too disconnected from the spirit of the Olympics.

None the less, I realize they can't please everyone, and while I found some bits lacking, overall I thought it was a great 17 days, and I'm sure the next set of games will bring much more of the same...the human experience is, after all, one of extreme highs and extreme lows, and one can't appreciate one extreme without the other.

Good job, London!  Have a drink, and rest.  You deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment