Saturday, February 4, 2012

Black Bean Vegetarian Burger Patties

It has been a long time since I posted in blog format.  I shut down the prior entries, so we can start fresh.  I would like a place to post updates, other than on FaceBook, and I think my blog is probably the best bet.

With my new interests in photography, and cooking/creating recipes, I sort of feel compelled to take up writing again.

I have been pushed into more cooking, canning, etc., through the state of the economy.  I think it's become rather imperative to keep eating well, but reduce overall costs along the way.  Not easy to do, given that everything is going up in price.  A month ago (maybe it was more than a month) I canned garbanzo beans, and made hummus.  It turned out to be cheap, in terms of expenses, and expensive on flavor!  Tried a roasted red pepper hummus, and a Greek olive and garlic hummus.  Of the two, the olive and garlic variety was my favorite, but both were delightful, easy, and so full of fresh, potent flavors, I dare say I'll never be able to go back to store bought again.

I also canned black beans, because I make a black bean chili that's quite good, and having beans, canned at home, would bring the costs down.  A couple days ago I had the idea to use my canned black beans, and make my own 'garden' type burger.


I really had no idea where to start, so just chose ingredients I thought would create a pleasing flavor profile, hold everything together and deliver the right texture.  I'm very happy with the results, but, as usual, I will likely try to improve on them, over time.

Black Bean Vegetarian Burger Patties

Ingredients: 

2 - 16 ounce cans of black beans, rinsed and drained well
1 bell pepper, quartered, seeded and stem removed
1 white onion, peeled and quartered
6-7 garlic cloves, peeled
1 pint mushrooms, rinsed well
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
2 eggs, beaten
12 ounce box Ritz crackers (or other off-brand), crushed to fine crumbs
2 cups oatmeal
    Directions: 

    In a large bowl, with a fork, mash black beans.  Set aside.

    To the bowl of your food processor, add the bell pepper, onion, garlic and mushrooms.  Process until all ingredients are well minced.  Add to the black beans.  Add the chili powder, cumin  and beaten eggs.  Stir until well combined.

    Add the crushed crackers and oatmeal, and stir until combined.  The patty mince should feel somewhat dry, and hold together well.

    Using an ice cream scoop to portion the patties, shape into 3/8" thick, round patties, and grill on a panini press until golden grill marks appear.

    Serve right away or transfer to a wire rack to cool, then freeze in freezer bags until ready to use.

    Prior to serving, reheat the patties in the microwave until warmed through.

    Depending upon the size of your ice cream scooper, this recipe makes 22-26 patties.

      2 comments:

      1. I hope to try this next week..sounds yummy.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. I hope you enjoy it. I was pleased with how it turned out, but I'm a tweaker, so will probably try a few different versions. Would like to know what you think. Best wishes. =)

          Delete