Friday, January 4, 2013

Fromage Fort

With several cheeses in the fridge, it was time for some formage fort.  I became acquainted with fromage fort this past summer, and was hooked at first taste.  What a great appetizer, or even a condiment.  Powerful flavors that pack one heck of a punch.


The translation for fromage fort is 'strong cheese'.  In this dish, any strong cheese, hard or soft, will work.  I used two hard cheeses and two soft cheeses, and I used equal amounts of each cheese.  I used Brie, Gorgonzola, Gruyere and Parmesan, but use whatever you have leftover, and if the amounts aren't equal, don't worry about it.

Ingredients:

1 lb. assorted strong cheeses (shred hard cheeses, and slice soft cheeses)
1 clove garlic
Pinch salt
Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
White wine (you will use more/less depending upon the cheeses you use)
1 tablespoon chives, chopped (use any herbs you like, it really doesn't matter)

Directions:

To the bowl of your food processor, add cheeses, garlic, salt and pepper.  Pulse until cheeses come together.  Add wine, 1/4 cup at a time, and pulse after each addition.  Continue with your wine additions until you reach the consistency of a spread.  I think I used about 3/4 cup in total.  It just depends upon the consistency of your chosen cheeses, and how thick or thin you want your spread.  Bear in mind, the more wine you add, the stronger that flavor will be.  Choose the balance that suits you.

Remove from food processor bowl, add chives, and stir to combine.  Transfer to a pretty bowl, and serve.  This is a very strong flavored spread, and goes well with any mild crostini or cracker.

I used my last batch as an appetizer on crostini, and thinned, as a sauce for my eggs 'not so' benedict a couple of days later.  I can also see this used in a gratin dish, as well as a topping for baked potatoes, perhaps with bacon crumbles.  I imagine it would make a great salad dressing, thinned with olive oil and vinegar.

It's very strong in flavor, but if you love strong cheeses, this is a really great way to use them, and the applications seem to be many.

2 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh yummmm will definitely be giving this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it has so many applications. At the moment, my most favorite, and versatile accompaniment. =)

      Delete