Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Artisan bread journey continues...

After learning to 'shape' my artisan bread, I fell in love with this no-knead recipe.  It's easy, the dough keeps in the fridge for up to two weeks, and the loaves can be shaped large or small, as rolls or whatever you wish.  The loaves bake up beautifully, and they are a great partner to soups, or sliced and used for panini sandwiches.  They also make great bread for french toast.

 

Once the dough is made, there is minimal mess to bake up a quick loaf, and I love that part the most.

I proof my yeast before I add it to the recipe, and I bake on my baking tiles, with an oven pre-heated to 525 degrees, the highest setting for my oven.  Before putting the bread in the oven, I reduce the heat to 450 degrees, and bake according to the directions in the recipe.

Here is an excellent video showing the shaping process:


I love the airy holes, and as the dough sits in the refrigerator, it develops more - and larger holes, and more flavor.  I prefer it after at least 2 days of sitting, but up to 14 days is fine.  Seems it doesn't last that long in our home, however.

 

There is no question I could use a little lesson in how to slash bread, but it doesn't diminish my results, nor my love of this bread.

An internet search for "Jeff Hertzberg's artisan bread" will uncover several unauthorized copies of the basic recipe, but I suggest the book, if you're interested in breads beyond the basic one I have shown here.

No comments:

Post a Comment