Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Summer potato

I have always loved baked potatoes, but when I'm done eating this family favorite, I often notice the pool of melted fat on the plate from the butter and sour cream. I decided it was time for a change, so I came up with a tasty way to enjoy one of my favorites, making it a little bit healthier.


Instead of the very large baked russet potatoes I've used in the past, I decided to use red potatoes, reducing the serving size, for one, but I love the red color, as well. The result was a fresh and light baked potato that makes me think of summer. Far fewer calories and fat than that traditional butter and sour cream laden baked potato of old.  Give it a try!

Ingredients:

6 medium sized red potatoes
Olive oil
3 ounces cream cheese, thinly sliced
3 ounces of white cheddar, shredded
Zest of one lemon

Directions:

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Lightly prick opposing sides of each potato with a fork. Add a drop of olive oil to each potato, and massage into the skin to lightly coat. Place into the pre-heated oven, and bake until skin crinkles, and potatoes are soft all the way through, 45-60 minutes.

Remove from oven, slice the top of each potato open, lightly pinch to break up the flesh, and top each potato with 1/2 ounce of cream cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste, and microwave for about 15 seconds to warm the cream cheese.


Remove from microwave, and finish off with 1/2 ounce of shredded cheddar on each potato and a bit of lemon zest.

260 calories and 9 grams of saturated fat. You're welcome.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment