Sunday, November 4, 2012

Lemon, basil and smoked mozzarella pizza

It might sound funky, and even look funky, but this flavor combination is really quite exceptional.  This pizza idea was posted to my Facebook wall by a friend, and I decided to try it.

 

These basic ingredients, when brought together, really pack a punch, but I would do a few things differently next time I make it, and there *will* be a next time.  First off, the pith on the lemons was a deal breaker for me, but the lemon flavor was the perfect partner to the smoked mozzarella and basil.  Too much of any ingredient, in any one bite, was just too much.


 

Next time I would zest a couple of lemons, and drizzle the juice onto the pizza, making it my last addition.  I would also shred the cheese vs. using the slices.  A little of this cheese goes a long way, and in some spots there was too much cheese, and in other spots, not enough.

I tossed my basil leaves with olive oil before I added them, and it kept them from drying out.  I layered the pizza, starting with the cheese slices, then the lemon slices, the basil, finishing with a drizzle of olive oil.

What will I do different?  Next time I will start with shredded cheese, basil, lemon zest, a drizzle of olive oil, and a drizzle of fresh lemon juice.  For me, I think this will allow the same flavors to come through, but a bit more balanced on the palate.


 

Overall, I can't complain.  I ended up removing the lemon slices before eating, and I'm glad I did.  The pith was just a bit overpowering.  With the suggested changes, I would absolutely do this again.  I rolled a thin crust, and baked the pizza on my quarry tiles.  It made for a very crisp crust...my favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment