Thursday, November 1, 2012

A good trip...

Last week was really special.  Not only did we spend a week with my sister, but we were able to see her new house, and help her with some projects, in particular, a kitchen counter top restoration.  A lot of broken and loose tiles needed to be replaced, as well as the very boring backsplash.  When it was all said and done, it looked terrific, though there were times when she wasn't sure we knew what we were doing.  =)




 

All set, ready for some grout...

 

A little repair.  A broken corner was replaced, just awaiting some grout...

 

I took some shots of the kitchen, as well as some of her 'pretty things', and made a video for her.


While visiting, we taught Kindle to swim in my sister's pool.  This was such a fun thing for me.  Shelties are not known for their love of water, much less their swimming prowess.  Kindle, bless her, was a good sport, and once she figured out the dynamics of swimming, was a real champ, really enjoying herself, even hopping in from the steps to retrieve balls we threw hither and yon.  It certainly helped that she has a real love of retrieving, and loves water, though actual swimming was new for her.




 

And when you have swam so much, your legs are out of juice, just hitch a ride on 'dad'.

 

There was no swimming for Jet.  He just hung out, doing his 'cool' thing.  At 13, we are just happy he's here.  He has nothing to prove.  Looking good, buddy...

 

A good belly rub in the morning, from a much loved auntie, never hurt, either.


 

We were able to squeeze in a few fun things, as well.  A highlight for me, and it will sound strange, because it's a hamburger, was our two trips to Bachi Burger.  Bachi Burger is a burger joint with an Asian twist.  Unique and mouth-watering flavor combinations.

I had the spicy miso burger, which was fantastic.  Not a list of ingredients I would ever dream up, but it was really something special.  If you like burgers, and you have an adventurous culinary side, add it to your list for your next visit to Las Vegas.

 

I had the spicy miso burger.  It was wonderful...

 

We also visited Hoover Dam and the Tillman Memorial Bridge.  All I can say is "wow".  It's just one of the most impressive things I have ever seen.  Right up there with the Panama Canal, in terms of its ability to inspire.  To really appreciate it, one must consider the technology available when it was built in the early 1930s.  Truly amazing.  Another "must do" for any Vegas visitor.







 

In addition to Bachi and the dam, we were able to squeeze in Cirque du Soleil's "KA".  I posted on Facebook that I would talk more about it when I could come up with a word other than 'wow', and I am still stuck at 'wow'.  KA is more about technology than acrobatics, at least as far as Cirque shows go, but there is no question it is most impressive.  I caught myself, several times, as I watched the show, with my mouth open.  I'm not easily impressed.  This impressed the hell out of me.

We also took the auto collections tour at the Imperial Palace.  I wasn't sure what to think when we first walked in, but as we moved from room to room, I was really overwhelmed with the beauty of most of the restorations.  Like anything, there were a few that weren't on par with the most exceptional restorations we saw, but most were beautifully done, with extreme attention to detail.  If money were no object, I would have purchased the Chrysler 300 for Cliff, and the VW bus for myself...probably the Beetle, too.

The bus...





 

The 300...



 

And the Beetle...





 

Overall, it was a great visit.  I look forward to another, soon, when we aren't tearing up a kitchen, but rather cooking, taking in the sights, and just relaxing.

Before I sign off this post, I have to show off my 'fun with color' photos.

 

One, in particular, has special meaning. On the way down, with nothing to do but watch the desert pass by, and with a pretty strong cell signal, I got creative.  Our beloved Ty was a voracious licker.  There was not another like him and he could lick 'all the live long day'.  In remembrance of him, and to have something to celebrate his life with my sister, who deeply loved him, I had some bracelets made - ordered with my phone, traveling along a lonely road at 70 miles/hour.  My sister is wearing one here.  Can you see what it says?

 

Needless to say, I never take mine off...neither does Cliff, nor my sister.

2 comments:

  1. What a great post, Leslie. I could almost pretend I was there. I love the heart feelings in all your photos, capturing the beauty of the moment. <3 LICKSTRONG!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely trip, with wonderful adventures, and superb memories to have and hold forever... Thank you for sharing. You are also an accomplished photographer ~ I enjoy your photos!

    ReplyDelete