Saturday, May 26, 2012

As you like it...trail mix!

Not a particularly inventive idea, and I'm sure there are many who have been doing this for a very long time, but it was a good reminder for me, so I figured others might find it useful, as well.  'Mix your own' trail mix.  In our local market, called Fred Meyer, we have a beautiful bulk section, full of seeds, nuts, grains, flours, etc.  If you need it, they probably have it there.  They also have spices in bulk, and there are many to choose from.  I have long since made my own combination spices from the spice section, but I had sort of forgotten I could make a great, custom snack, by choosing my own seeds, nuts and dried fruits from the bulk section.

This morning, as we were doing our weekly shopping, my husband said, "let's make our own trail mix."  I thought it was a great idea.  We chose items that were on sale, and made about 2-1/2 lbs. of trail mix for about 1/2 the price of the next least expensive option.

 

We chose roasted peanuts, yogurt raisins, sunflower seeds, sesame sticks, dried cranberries and dried dates.  A great snack, either to take to work, send off to school with kids, or just to have in a bowl around the house.  If you haven't made your own trail mix, I encourage you to give it a go.  It's kind of fun to pick out what you want vs. just accepting what they put in the pre-made stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment