Thursday, January 10, 2013

New faucet and a clean vacuum

There is no doubt that any home improvement project can be rewarding, but it can also be frustrating, and, without question, one improvement leads to several others.  It never fails.

Our old kitchen faucet was nearing the end of its life.  Difficult to raise and lower the handle, and tricky to control the water flow, it was time to say farewell, and replace it with something a little more 'up with the times'.

We chose a goose neck faucet, with integrated spray nozzle...love it!


Replacing a faucet should not be a complex or difficult process.  It shouldn't take more than about 30 minutes, but this assumes the prior installer followed directions installing the faucet you are about to replace, and didn't use any unnecessary adhesives, or putties.  Unfortunately for us, such would not be the case.

The first plastic screw cap came off easily, but the second screw cap didn't want to budge.  It was stuck, and it was stuck because of some kind of plumber's adhesive that was holding it in place.  Why the adhesive?  Who knows.

When we do home improvement projects, I'm always amazed at how difficult the prior 'do it yourselfer' made things for him/herself, as well as the 'do it yourselfers' that would follow.  Home improvements and/or repairs don't have to be difficult. Follow instructions, don't assume you know better than the experts, watch a video, or two if you have to, and you will reach a decent result.  If you can't do that, leave it to the experts.  The home owner that follows you will appreciate it very much.

Back to our efforts to free the old faucet...

After watching Cliff struggle with that second screw cap for quite a while, I suggested we take out the entire sink.  He'd already reached that conclusion, but had wanted to give 'brute strength' another shot.  It didn't work, so out the sink came.

Once the sink was out, and with better access, it wasn't long before the screw cap was loose, and the old faucet was free. Phew...it wasn't what I would call 'easy', but it was less difficult with better access.

Removing the sink exposed the counter lip under the sink edge, and the 'need it clean freak' that I am, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to scrub that up.  The accumulated mold had to go!  With the sink propped up precariously on the front facing ledge, which was about 3" wide, we managed to clean the counter lip.

Sink back down in place, it was time to install the new faucet.  The only problem?  The access for screwing the caps in place was limited again, making it very difficult to get everything tightened down.  So now the question: get a special tool we might only use a couple of times, or lift the sink again so we could access the screws and get everything properly tightened?

After almost three hours trying to release the old screw cap, Cliff was hurting from his position in the cramped space underneath the sink.  He tightened everything as best he could from under the sink, checked for leaks (there were none), and we called it a night.  It looked great, and I was happy.  Even though we had more tightening of the faucet and base plate left to do, it was functional.



Love my soap dispenser.


This morning we woke to standing water under the sink.  Joy.  The old supply line to the hot water is bad, and needs to be replaced, and while we're at it, we'll lift the sink again, and gain the access we need to properly tighten everything down...

So, time for a little coffee?  Not so fast.  While Cliff was finishing up with the leak, I decided to sit myself down on the floor in the hall, and trim dog nails.  Kindle first.  When I finished with her, I noticed the last vacuuming of the carpet hadn't done a great job.  Hum.  I proceeded to trim Jet's nail, one eye on the evidence of my vacuum's apparent failure to do its job, and I wondered, "is it losing its sucking mojo?"

I finished Jet's nails, put the clippers away, and I got on the Dyson website.  I looked through their troubleshooting pages. Everything seemed to be functioning as it should, but what's this mention of cleaning the filter that's advertised as 'never needs cleaning'?  Hum.  Six years with this vacuum, and we'd never cleaned the 'never needs cleaning' filter.  "Gee, I wonder why?"

I watched a few videos on the Dyson site related to vacuum maintenance, and realized we'd missed several suggested 'up keep' steps along the way.  Yikes!

While Cliff finished up with the sink, at least until we get the new supply lines, I started to clean the vacuum, discovering nooks and crannies to clean I didn't know I had access to!

As I said earlier, one project leads to another.  I have a new faucet, and a clean vacuum, and now I'm equipped to clean my carpets again.

Can we finish installing the mini pendant lights in the kitchen now, or will that project lead to a new roof?

No comments:

Post a Comment