Friday, January 4, 2013

Garlic croutons

I need bread crumbs for a dinner I'm making tonight.  I had a bit of leftover bread from yesterday that I needed to use up, so decided to make croutons that I would break into chunky crumbs for my recipe.

Croutons are one of the simplest things to make, and I recommend you make them vs. buy them.  You can play with the flavors, and customize them to your personal taste.  I like a simple, garlic crouton, but you can use fresh herbs in any combination for a truly unique flavor profile.

Ingredients:

2-1/2 cups bread cubes
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons butter
Kosher salt
Fresh ground black pepper

Directions:

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, add bread cubes, and set aside.


In a small saucepan, combine garlic, butter, pinch of salt, and pepper to taste.  Heat over medium heat until bubbly and garlic is fragrant.




Pour butter mixture over bread cubes, and toss until all cubes are well coated.


Transfer to a baking sheet, and bake in the preheated oven 15 minutes.  Remove, toss cubes, and return to the oven for another 15 minutes or until cubes are lightly browned, and all butter is absorbed.


Remove from oven, cool, and use as desired.  I will be using mine in fromage fort stuffed artichokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment