Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Grilled portobello mushrooms...vegetarian 'meat'?

I have heard about grilling mushrooms, in particular, Portobellos.  It's a big mushroom, has an almost 'meaty' texture and taste, and it looks cool, too!  I had bacon on my mind, as well as potatoes and a little green, leafy friend to round it out.

I started by cooking my bacon.  Once fully cooked, I reserved about 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat, and turned my attention to the mushrooms.  I minced up some garlic, and spread it over the gills of the upturned mushrooms, then seasoned with salt and pepper.

 

I really had no clue where to go from here, then spotted the balsamic vinegar in the pantry.  A little balsamic and melted butter?  Yep, that sounded good, and drizzled nicely over the 'shrooms.

 

While Cliff grilled the 'shrooms, I went to work with that reserved bacon fat.  Enter my favorite 'green':  Arugula!  I love it wilted, and thought the bacon fat would be a nice partner.  Turns out I was right.

I had some of my garlic and cream cheese mashed potatoes leftover, so they rounded out the meal.



Not bad for flying by the seat of my pants!

As it turns out, we had two leftover 'shrooms, which we made into burgers the following night!  Portobello mushrooms...what a great little fungi!  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment